Cloth Type: 100% WoolYardage: 5 yards at 60 inches wide
Source: Class Act Fabrics
Description: A medium weight twill wool in a subdued, medium woad color.
Intended Use:I got this wool with the vague idea that I would use it for an experimental gown that tests a theory that a raglan sleeve may have been in use in mid-15th century Flanders.
I'd been thinking about attempting a raglan sleeve on a fitted dress ever since Heidi of Medieval Threads pointed out how very easily the sleeve style shown in Rogier van der Weyden's Magdelan (below) could be raglan. I found a few more images (you can see them on the Pinboard I created just for them), and have every intention of at least attempting to do it with some muslin.
I've identified two traits about these dresses that appear to be common and somewhat define the look. The raglan sleeve is obviously the first. The second is the presence of a collar band or yoke like addition around the neckline. The seams at the corners of this feature appear to line up with the sleeve seam. I believe this will be the trickiest part- lining them up will require attention to detail.
I purchased enough of the wool to do a long sleeve dress, but shorter sleeves also seem to be the correct look here. The wool is on outer layer weight, however, so to wear it in cooler weather, I will need to include sleeves, same as the Magdelan image does.
If, in the event that my muslin experiments suggest that a raglan sleeve isn't suitable, or that I find the patterning too complex for my level of skill, I'm open to using the wool for something else- though I have no idea what that might be at this point!

No comments:
Post a Comment